For years I had been hearing great things about this foundation. My best friend has one and she loves it, and many MUA’s use it in the their kits because it blends so nicely. What I appreciate about how L’Oreal formulated these, is the fact that they took undertones into account. Some of us are warm, some are cool and some are neutral.
- If your veins appear green, you’re a warm undertone.
- If your veins appear blue, you’re a cool undertone.
- If you find that you’re veins look neither green nor blue, or they appear to be a combination of both green and blue, you have a neutral undertone.
Usually this retails for anywhere between 10-15CDN (at Shoppers Drug Mart and Rexall) before HST, which means that with HST you’re going to end up spending a tad more than you probably bargained for regarding drugstore foundation.
I got lucky when I took my usual stroll into Shoppers Drug Mart and saw that they randomly had 2 shades of this on ‘clearout’ for 2CDN. Yes, you read that correctly, all I needed was a Toonie. So then I figured, “okay for $2 what’s the worst that can really happen?” I swatched it in store, on the subway, and when I reached home. It matched my skin perfectly!
This formula feels so nice and light, but personally I go for a bit more coverage. To be fair though, I think this would be great for everyday wear regardless of the season. As a result of it not being too heavy, it works well with illuminators because it’s not too overpowering – your illuminator gets to do its job.
- Compared to Maybelline’s FitMe foundation, True Match has a lighter feel with lighter coverage, whereas Maybelline has more medium to full coverage.
- Compared to BECCA’s Ultimate Coverage Complexion Creme (I’m the shade Tobacco), I found them similar regarding the lightweight, buildable coverage feel.
This is for you if:
- You’re new to makeup, and you need a good foundation that looks very natural
- You don’t need too much coverage, but still want your skin to have that nice smooth appearance when you apply your foundation
- You like to build up your own coverage when wearing foundation
- You live in a very warm place and for that reason you want a foundation with a lightweight feel
- You need a bit more coverage than a tinted moisturizer or a BB Cream
This may not be for you if:
- You’re a beauty junkie who loves that full coverage feel
- You want to wear a foundation without concealer, i.e. when wearing this foundation, if you have things you’d like to conceal (pimples, dark circles, acne scarring) you’ll need a concealer
- You want that airbrushed feeling right away when applying your foundation
- You are looking for medium to full coverage
Read on to see how I use illuminators mixed in with foundation
Be sure to check out my post on another great drugstore find!