Clumps? Racoon eyes? Falsies?
My lashes curl all way the way back…is that weird? No but seriously though, I have an eyelash curler and I don’t even use it – unless its to curl them the opposite way.
In the past 9 years, I’ve learnt that you really don’t need more than one coat of mascara to get a nice ‘lush lash’ effect. What you need however, is to make the most of that one coat.
Want your lashes to have that nice slight curl?
Use your eyelash curler, by squeezing your lashes gently for about 3 seconds. i.e. ‘squeeze 1, squeeze 2, squeeze 3’. I recommend The Falsies by Maybelline, I’ve used this before and the black was so rich!
Want your lashes to have some length?
Dust a little powder on your lashes, yes powder. You can use your powder foundation, your finishing powder, or even a little baby powder will work. Just take your fluffy bending crease brush and dust the powder over your eyelashes; the powder will help the mascara to adhere to your lashes, and I find that it also lessens clumps. Then go in with your lengthening mascara. Maybelline Illegal Lengths has fibre extensions that actually work – my lashes looked significantly longer, and it worked wonders for my naturally long lower lashes.
Want your lashes to have some volume?
Start from the root and wiggle. Use the Colossal Volume Express mascara by Maybelline, I used this some time ago and the fanned out look was amazing!
Faves and Recommendations:
- Benefit’s They’re Real! Mascara – I received the miniature size of this as a Sephora Beauty Insider for my birthday. Even though its small, its the brush that makes the difference. My lashes really did look false, I kid you not, and I loved it! This one lengthens, darkens and gives volume. You can purchase this anywhere that carries Benefit products.
- Maybelline Great Lash, Lots of Lashes – This is the only mascara that I have purchased twice. It goes on sale at Shoppers Drug Mart fairly often, and the heart shaped brush is very helpful. That little pointy tip really does get into those tiny lashes close to the inner corner of your eye. If you really want your lashes to have that separated look, as if you literally went through and separated them one by one, this is perfect.
- Make Up For Ever Smoky Extravagant – I received this as this year’s Sephora Beauty Insider birthday gift. However, I must admit that its one of those messy mascaras that you might want to swipe on a tissue before you apply. To combat the messiness though, I just run the tip of the brush against the base of my lashes, and then apply. If you already have lengthy lashes, and simply need them to be a little dark and voluminous, this is for you.
- Maybelline Illegal Lengths – This is easily one of my favorite mascaras. Similar to Lots of Lashes, I’ve purchased it twice because it really is that good. I first purchased this in March 2012, and then again in December and 2013 and the formula was great both times. I personally go for mascaras that have fibers in them for lengthening purposes because I find that they work.
- Maybelline The Falsies – If you really want your lashes to have more than just a slight curl, along with that really dark look AND volume – so pretty much everything you could ever want. This is The One.
- Maybelline Colossal Volume Express – This may not give you much length, but it will definitely give you some volume. The pigmentation is not something I can say much about, because for some reason I had purchased this in dark brown when I bought it.
Regardless of which mascara is used, these basic things make a difference:
- Take the mascara wand, position the tip at the base of lashline and wiggle.
- Back to the lashline base, and then wiggle going upwards.
- Turn your mascara wand vertically, and if you see any spaces or clumps, use the wand to get rid of them; this will give you a nice separated look.
- Don’t forget to use the tip on the tiny lashes in the inner corners, and the lashes on the end!
Quick Tip: Even though you should change your mascara every 3 months to avoid eye infections, if you find that your mascara is clumping before the 3 month mark – put the closed tube in a mug of hot water, this will loosen up the product and get it flowing.
Which mascara do you use?